Ford V8 Discussion Discussion relating to getting the most out of your Ford-based V8 Miata's engine

Looking at a 5.0 HO 1995

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:50 AM
V8 Miata Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Looking at a 5.0 HO 1995

Ad says complete 5.0 HO from a '95 Mustang $375. Says it ran excellent.
Pics show no wiring attached, no alt or bracket. Dirty but no apparent leaks.
I'll be using Martins kit in a '90 smurf.
If I get the '95 mustang alt and bracket does this give enough room to run puller fans instead of Martins pushers?

I'll be running no PS and no AC. Can I just delete the AC pump and run a shorter belt or is there more to it than that? Does one belt operate the alt and water pump off the crank in this senario? Am I missing anything?

Does this engine have GT40 heads?
I'll need the 89-94 bellhousing- correct?
How tough will the wiring harnesses be to source?

Thanks. Looking forward to getting started on this soon.
Brad
Old 03-03-2014, 12:18 PM
V8 Miata Participant

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MX-Brad
Ad says complete 5.0 HO from a '95 Mustang $375. Says it ran excellent.
Pics show no wiring attached, no alt or bracket. Dirty but no apparent leaks.
I'll be using Martins kit in a '90 smurf.
If I get the '95 mustang alt and bracket does this give enough room to run puller fans instead of Martins pushers?

Yes

I'll be running no PS and no AC. Can I just delete the AC pump and run a shorter belt or is there more to it than that? Does one belt operate the alt and water pump off the crank in this senario? Am I missing anything?

Yes, yes, probably Should be able to just delete the pump, depends on how the tensioner scheme works out.

Does this engine have GT40 heads?

No

I'll need the 89-94 bellhousing- correct?

The bellhousing needs to fit the trans.

How tough will the wiring harnesses be to source?

Jason? Jason?

Thanks. Looking forward to getting started on this soon.
Brad
Good luck, Mike
Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 AM
V8 Miata Noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

first off for not doing an LSx ,

second I'm new to the forums but i thought id start posting because
I have lots knowledge on 302 and on the v8 swap miata ,

Bell housing Ive heard people use the 95 transmission because the bell housing and shaft longer so helps with shifter placement

wireing i went with carb with my swap because my cars going to be more of a show car and i want that clean shaved engine bay look , but if you go to monstermiata.com they have v8 how to book that will help with the wiring
Old 03-04-2014, 05:36 AM
V8 Miata Follower

I am sure that someone with more knowledge will answer but in reference to Martin's V-8 conversion book, it is very worthwhile. Got one with the car I just got and a wealth of information. Between that and Jason's wiring information and you would be set..
Old 03-04-2014, 07:38 AM
Jim Stainer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by davismx5.0
first off for not doing an LSx ,

second I'm new to the forums but i thought id start posting because
I have lots knowledge on 302 and on the v8 swap miata ,

Bell housing Ive heard people use the 95 transmission because the bell housing and shaft longer so helps with shifter placement

wireing i went with carb with my swap because my cars going to be more of a show car and i want that clean shaved engine bay look , but if you go to monstermiata.com they have v8 how to book that will help with the wiring
Thank you for jumping in and helping cvx with this. Really good to have another expert on board!!

No question the 5.0 makes a great car into and outstanding driving machine but really all engines folks swap into the Miata have their pros and cons.

+1 to buying Martians book. I built and LS1 and found the book a valuable tool even with the GM.

If you have not done so already spend some time on Jasons site.
McCully Racing Motors- There's no Replacement for Displacement.

Also process through his great thread on this subject.
https://www.v8miata.net/general-miat...nfo-fords-779/

I'm sure you have seen a lot of their posts but there are a couple of guys around here you might want to take a night and just comb through all their posts for the last couple years. Start with MRM331 and tbone hiller but don't miss WolfGTs epic build thread too. He is in the middle of a very cool Ford build. A lot of the questions you are facing here are in their threads and more that you have not even thought of yet. Prep time studying guys that have been there and done that is really meaningful to the build process.

Welcome to the party I look forward to seeing your build come together!!!

Last edited by charchri4; 03-04-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:10 PM
V8 Miata Fanatic

Yes, I already have Martins manual memorized.
I've been in contact with the fellow about the motor. Sounds like it might be a good buy. Only problem I have is now that I've done a bit more reading, I see the '94-95 is not as desireable due to the differnt computer and harness. Also I wish to delete the AC and PS and there does not seem to be an easy way to make that happen on the 94-95 engines. I wouldn't mind deleting the smog pump too (no testing here)but I hear that messes with the computer.

Maybe I'll just look for an earlier motor to save the hassle.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:36 PM
V8 Miata Zealot

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I am in the process of installing a 94-95 computer in mine as suggested by my tuner.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:39 PM
V8 Miata Fanatic

aaargg. Now I'm confused. Must have drink.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:13 PM
V8 Miata Participant

1991-1993 Tbird/Cougar 5.0's have the same front dress as the 94-95 Mustang. Buy the whole car and get an 8.8 rear as well, but they do have an oddball computer. The computer issue can be addressed by using a compatible harness. So, you can use the harness from an earlier 5.0 that came with the A9L and be good to go.

I deleted the smog pump, put the A/C compressor in that space with a simple adapter plate.

Mike

Last edited by cvx_20; 03-04-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:30 PM
V8 Miata Fanatic

Thanks for that info Mike. I'll research it a bit but if I end up with this engine-miles are relatively low and the price is good- and I can simply switch harness and computer, I'd be all set, minus figuring out how to delete the PS and AC. The A9L doesn't care if there isn't a smog pump, does it?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:37 PM
V8 Miata Participant

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm running 92 T-Bird front trim. Click on my name, go to the album and you can see a couple engine shots.

All you have to do to eliminate the ac and ps is only use the alternater/smog pump bracket and source a replacement pulley for the drivers side. This is the pulley I went with; http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTANG...-/251272414036

Summit Racing pulley; http://www.summitracing.com/parts/as.../model/mustang

I did trim the corners of the aluminum pulley plate a bit for appearance sake.

Last edited by 5.0MX5; 03-05-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 PM
V8 Miata Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.0MX5
I'm running 92 T-Bird front trim. Click on my name, go to the album and you can see a couple engine shots.

All you have to do to eliminate the ac and ps is only use the alternater/smog pump bracket and source a replacement pulley for the drivers side. This is the pulley I went with; Ford Mustang Pro 5 0 A C Eliminator Kit 1987 1993 GT LX 302 | eBay

Summit Racing pulley; http://www.summitracing.com/parts/as.../model/mustang

I did trim the corners of the aluminum pulley plate a bit for appearance sake.
Thanks. Great looking build.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:55 PM
V8 Miata Participant

Thanks, a couple pictures; 1st is the alt/smog pump bracket cut to allow the ac compressor to be mounted in the smog pump location. If you never intended to add ac and don't need to worry about the smog pump, you could trim the bracket even more, reducing size and I suppose a bit of weight. 2nd is another underhood shot. In edit I see I need to clean things up, still looks pretty rough on close inspection. HTH

Last edited by 5.0MX5; 03-06-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:24 PM
V8 Miata Fanatic

Beautiful. Thanks for that.Is that pulley in the foreground of the second pic- is it a AC delete bracket.....nevermind - I see that is the pulley you referenced previously. Is that usable for the shorter 94-95 front drive too?
Thanks for the pics.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:19 AM
V8 Miata Participant

Is that usable for the shorter 94-95 front drive too?
Thanks for the pics.
To the best of my knowledge, yes. That's based on Jason and other's comments. I trust someone more knowledgeable will correct that opinion if not the case.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:09 AM
V8 Miata Zealot

I appears as if the P/S eliminator assembly can be used for different "long" & "short" applications by altering the length of the spacers between it & the cylinder head that it is mounted to.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:22 AM
V8 Miata Fanatic

Right. It looks like a bolt and sleeve type deal. That's great.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:21 AM
V8 Miata Fanatic

Does anyone know what the shortest/lowest intake manifold assembly offered on the 5.0? The 94 HO I'm looking at- wondering if the manifold on it is taller than in the earlier cars? A search through some of the Ford forums has not netted a confirmation of this.
Anyone here know?

Even so, I may end up with this motor because of the price and locale despite having to source the wiring/electronics and possibly intake.
Since no computer comes with this engine, I may as well do the A9L and Fox body wiring. Since I have to source the harness anyway I may as well get one from the fellow here that offers them for sale.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:21 PM
V8 Miata Zealot

The 94-95 intake would be the lowest profile intake offered for the factory EFI.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:07 AM
V8 Miata Fanatic

Good to know. Hopefully there is enough room on it drill and tap for the IAT that's needed the the A9L.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:20 PM
V8 Miata Fanatic

Well, looks like I'll be getting this engine next week. It's a '95 Mustang HO. No wiring and possibly no MAF or TB. I'll get the wiring sorted after I start cleaning up the engine.
Are there any diehard Ford guys here who could answer a few questions? Google would not reveal the secrets to me.

The A9L requires IAT sensor that is in a lower intake runner on the Foxbody.
1) Can this intake be drilled, or can I use a Fox lower with the SN95 upper, or do I need to go full GT40 intake? The SN95 is lower which is why I'd like to use it.

2)Since the valve covers are different for Fox vs SN95 I presume they use different heads. Is it worth the trouble to find GT40 heads (i know,not GT40P).

3) where is the dipstick on a SN95? Does it make a difference for my application?

4) ignition is different. Is it a simple "drop in a Fox distributor" and remote TFI?

Any other issues you can think that might pop up? I want this engine to be essentially a Fox as far as the A9L is concerned.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 03-14-2014, 09:52 PM
V8 Miata Participant

Well, looks like I'll be getting this engine next week. It's a '95 Mustang HO. No wiring and possibly no MAF or TB. I'll get the wiring sorted after I start cleaning up the engine.
Are there any diehard Ford guys here who could answer a few questions? Google would not reveal the secrets to me.

The A9L requires IAT sensor that is in a lower intake runner on the Foxbody.
1) Can this intake be drilled, or can I use a Fox lower with the SN95 upper, or do I need to go full GT40 intake? The SN95 is lower which is why I'd like to use it.

2)Since the valve covers are different for Fox vs SN95 I presume they use different heads. Is it worth the trouble to find GT40 heads (i know,not GT40P).

3) where is the dipstick on a SN95? Does it make a difference for my application?

4) ignition is different. Is it a simple "drop in a Fox distributor" and remote TFI?

Any other issues you can think that might pop up? I want this engine to be essentially a Fox as far as the A9L is concerned.

Thanks,
Brad
I'm not a diehard Ford guy, but I did use a 93 Tbird motor, which is very similar to the 94-95 Mustang. So, here goes:

1: there is a boss on the lower intake that can be drilled and tapped. See post #14 on this excellent thread. You should read the whole thread.

Useful Mustang Information - READ THIS FIRST! - Mustang Evolution

2: Depends on what your goals are. I swapped in a motor that had 173000 miles, been running it for about 6 years, have finally got the balanced rotating assy for a 347 waiting for me to put it together. Some day. And I acquired some Pro-Comp al heads that will get used with that. That thread does have some good info on heads.

3: On the side of the block, drivers side. No. Some have had interference with headers, I didn't, but then I did bend the tube somewhat.

4: Can't help too much there. I used the Tbird setup, which has the remote TFI. I do know enough not to use the non-roller dizzy on a roller cam

HTH, Mike

Last edited by cvx_20; 03-14-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:18 PM
V8 Miata Fanatic

geez, thanks for that link. That has to be the most comprehensive, all in one thread for 5.0 info I've ever seen. Bookmarked!
Thanks Mike.
Brad
Old 03-15-2014, 06:34 AM
V8 Miata Follower

Brad,
That info is useful for sure as you will find many knowledgable folks here. Both Jason(who is very busy) and Tbone know Fords like the back of their hand. Any "deep" questions could be aswered by them or others here either general post or pm.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:42 PM
V8 Miata Zealot

Why not use the computer from the 95 Mustang? That is what I am switching to. I am using an A9L harness with some of the pins swapped around.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 5.0 HO 1995