Ford V8 Discussion Discussion relating to getting the most out of your Ford-based V8 Miata's engine

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:16 PM
V8 Miata Fan

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What would you do?

I got a great deal on a complete 5.0 from a '95 Mustang. I did not get the wiring harness or computer, but they are available. I was initially thinking that I would add GT40 heads and intake from an Explorer and the front accessories, harness and computer from a '93 Mustang. Would this be the best way to go or should I/could I use the engine as is?
Old 10-24-2014, 10:23 PM
V8 Miata Habitué

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The '94-'95 Mustang uses a front dress that is closer to the block. That would make for more room between the radiator and engine accessories; maybe enough for puller fans. The intake is also lower, helping with the hood clearance issue. What I don't know is whether the different placement of these external engine parts might create some interference with the Miata chassis that the '89 - '93 Mustang parts do not.

The wiring would be a little different, so you would be more on your own compared to using existing guidelines.

Jason (MRM331) can probably advise you on some, if not all, of these points.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:23 PM
V8 Miata Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I can lend some insight here, although I've only started my conversion. I bought a '95 GT engine, no wiring, no computer. I changed the intake to 88-93 version, bought a '93 harness, still looking for a deal on an A9L 'puter, but I kept the shorter water pump and alternator bracket so I will have room for puller fans. At least that's the plan. Several here have run the SN95 setup complete with intake and wiring. Lots of options.
Good luck.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:35 AM
V8 Miata Zealot

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I am ditching the A9L & replacing with SN95 due to better tuning capabilities as suggested by my tuner, http://www.injectedengineering.com/
Old 11-04-2014, 08:28 AM
V8 Miata Fan

I've decided to go with my original plan. I scored the front dress off a '93 and an Explorer intake. I'm still looking for a harness and computer. Since Jason seems to be busy, I'm looking at the Ford Racing M-12071-A50 harness. Anyone used one or have any thoughts?
Old 11-04-2014, 07:38 PM
V8 Miata Habitué

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is a link to some info on that particular Ford Racing harness. Ford Racing Fuel Injection Retrofit Harness M-12071-A50

So it's not a direct replacement for the factory Mustang harness, but rather a stand-alone for swapping the '89 - '93 5.0L motors into street rods, other vehicles, etc. Hard to say the exact differences. I know the factory Mustang has multiple harnesses rather than one, like the main, injectors, and oxygen sensors, I think. I'm guessing yours is more an "all-in-one" solution for swappers. So it probably has everything needed to make the car run, and probably is minus some other, car-specific wiring.

Since it's for swaps, I don't see why it can't be made to work. A possible downside is it might be harder to find specific instructions that apply to the Miata project as opposed to the original Mustang harness, for which Martin's manual and likely other resources will refer.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:57 AM
V8 Miata Zealot

Call these guys: MPS Auto Salvage - your best resource for Ford Mustang Parts New and Used Ford Mustang parts. They should be able to set you up with everything that a Mustang has to offer. They have hundreds of Mustangs piled EVERYWHERE!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Jim Stainer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Any updates on your build Ford5.0?
Old 12-19-2014, 07:45 AM
V8 Miata Fan

I found a set of like new GT40 heads. I put an Alexsparts spring kit on them, so they're ready to go.

I disassembled the engine to freshen it up. It became apparent that oil changes were few and far between in its previous life. So tomorrow I'm taking the block and crank to a machine shop. I think a remember reading in a post of tbone's that said something like "I never got anything but junk from a junkyard."

I got a remanufactured A9L and Jason is working his magic on a harness for me.

My headers came yesterday and Martin says my drive shaft is on its way. I will then have everything in hand from the kit.

I haven't started anything on the car yet, as I want to keep it intact until I'm ready to start. I will try to sell the Mazda drive train and I was thinking it may be easier to sell if the potential buyer could test drive the car before I pull it.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Dennis,

What year is your donor Miata? If it's a 1994 or later you should have no problem unloading your engine and diff especially if the diff is a limited slip. My last build was a 1994 with 167k on it when I did the swap. Before I even pulled it I had a buyer for the engine ($550) and the rear/axles ($600). A lot of people swap both of these into their earlier 1.6 liter Miatas. Unfortunately the 1990 to 1993 stuff is almost impossible to get rid of since it's so easy to swap in the later parts. I still have a 1.6 from one of the earlier builds I did in my father's garage. I think he eventually scrapped the three 1.6 diffs we had.

Transmissions were the same from 1990 on up to 2005 so they are pretty easy to get rid of if they are in good shape. Some nb owners with the optional 6speeds have even swapped in the more common 5speeds because they shift nicer. You'll be lucky to get over $100 regardless of year.

I have your harnesses stripped and cleaned and hanging on my "drying rack". I hope to be able to start cutting into them this weekend and get them done by the time I go back to school on the 5th.

-Jason
Old 12-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Btw, let Jim or I know when you want me to slide this thread over to the build thread area or leave it here if you just want to start a new one.

-Jason
Old 12-19-2014, 01:58 PM
V8 Miata Fan

Jason,

My Miata is a 95. Its got 101K on it and runs great. My unscientific test results (spinning in the snow) lead me to believe the diff is a limited slip.

I'm glad to hear you started on my harness.

I found a set of used a/c compressor manifolds, so I'll be wanting a set of your hoses. Also, any info that you could provide on the installation of the system would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Denny
Old 12-19-2014, 07:03 PM
V8 Miata Zealot

I think a remember reading in a post of tbone's that said something like "I never got anything but junk from a junkyard."

LMAO!!

Last edited by tbone heller; 12-19-2014 at 07:07 PM.