Ford V8 Discussion Discussion relating to getting the most out of your Ford-based V8 Miata's engine

Martin (Monster Miata) Fan part number anyone?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Martin (Monster Miata) Fan part number anyone?

My one TriPac fan is starting to whine after 12,000 miles. If anyone is building a car right now or can get to the part number on thier built car would you mind letting me know the part number? It should be printed o the label with the warning about the fan starting when the car is off.

Thanks,
-Jason
Old 12-21-2012, 06:34 PM
V8 Miata Noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P/n - 14-451183
Old 12-22-2012, 08:21 PM
V8 Miata Enthusiast

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Here ya go - Rawn
Attached Thumbnails Martin (Monster Miata) Fan part number anyone?-image-6_zps894ec937.jpg  
Old 12-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Thanks everyone.

Now if I could only find a place to get one. I was able to get the dimensions off the Tripac site using that part number but it does not look like you can buy directly from them. I may just find one form another brand that flows a bit better and fits the same area. As far as I can tell, these fans flow 880 cfm each and only come as a set for $130 or so.

There's a few 11' fans out there that are no taller that flow over 1100 cfm for under $100. Since I only need one I may splurge on one of those.

Thanks,
-Jason
Old 12-24-2012, 08:03 AM
V8 Miata Noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you called the company, maybe they could tell you where to buy the fan, it is strange no body seems to sell the fan. I tried to find it online and hit the same brick wall you did. Let us know what you find for a replacement.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Do you need one also Ed? If you do why don't we just split the cost of the dual 11" set?
-Jason
Old 12-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Here's the dual set I speak of. They look to be what Martin has sent to us plus a bracket.

It looks like they run $129.99 + shipping for the set. If anyone needs a replacement I'll pick up a set and sell you the spare. Ed has dibs.

If no one needs one I may just pick the both up anyhow. I think the quality of the fans is fine when used in a California like climate but here in the northeast they don't seem to stand up to well in front of the radiator. I'm hoping that having them behind the radiator will help with this.

Fans - Tripac 11 Dual Reversible Fan

-Jason
Attached Thumbnails Martin (Monster Miata) Fan part number anyone?-2546_2706_large.jpg  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Administrator

I'm going to go ahead and order the set above. If one is bad, the other is sure to follow it. I'll probably just swap out both.

While I'm at it I'm hooking my MS2 up to my fans and dropping the thermoswitch. Currently I have the fans going on for the AC via the original AC fan wiring and for cooling via the stock relay and thermoswitch. I'm thinking of dumping all that in favor of a direct power feed of 12 volts (much heavier wire than stock) and two new larger relays. I figure the one relay will obviously be tripped by the MS2 lead but the other I think I'll just tie into the AC compressor clutch wire. Anyone see any issues with this?

Long story short:

Two relays, both wired to send 12 volts to BOTH fans-One switched on by the MS2, the other switched on by the same current turning on the compressor clutch-Problems?

-Jason
Old 12-27-2012, 04:47 PM
V8 Miata Zealot

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

That is basically how mine are wired. Two relays. One triggered by the a/c clutch, & one triggered by the thermoswitch (which can be overridden by a manual toggle switch. Power to the relays is supplied via fuse link at the starter solenoid using much larger gauge wire than supplied by Mazda.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Administrator

I'm adding this info primarily for anyone who needs to order replacement kit fans or wants to change the kit 11" fans to pullers or thinner bodied fans yet keep the other dimensions the same. All the fans below are 11" fans of the same external dimensions as the kit fans (11.5" wide at the mounts). This is all from Tripac's site:

"Stock" Kit Fans: 14-4511B2
Pusher Configuration
3.22" thick
Link: Tripac International Inc. | Electric Cooling Fan | High Performance Fan

Pic:

Puller version of kit fans: 14-4511S2
Puller Configuration
3.22" thick
Pic:

Thin Version of Kit Pushers: 14-4911B2
Pusher Configuration
2.51" thick
Picnote that they messed up the arrow on this on in the drawing)

Thinner Puller Fan: 14-4911S1
Puller Configuration
2.51" thick
Pic:

When I went to take my fans out I found that they are worse than I though. One is almost completely seized and the other (the one I actually though was bad) is making a high pitched squeal. Since space is at a premium (mine are mounted behind the radiator with Fox, not SN95 short, accessories) I'm going to try to get a set of the last ones listed above, the 14-4911S1 puller fans to replace them. I'm planning on calling Tripac on Monday to see if they will sell them to me directly. If not I may have to go through Martin or Racer's wholesale to see if they could special order them for me. I also want to see if the CFM's of the 2.51 inch thick fans is significantly less than the thicker ones. If they are I may go with one of them an one of the thicker style.

I'm also adding a set of 6 Spal "flaps" to the shroud which will allow air to pass through it at speed.

-Jason
Attached Thumbnails Martin (Monster Miata) Fan part number anyone?-14-4511b2_sm.jpg   Martin (Monster Miata) Fan part number anyone?-14-4511s2_sm.jpg   Martin (Monster Miata) Fan part number anyone?-14-4911b2_sm.jpg   Martin (Monster Miata) Fan part number anyone?-14-4911s1_sm.jpg  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Just an update:
I just got off the phone with Tripac. I was able to talk to one of their engineers which was pretty cool. He had a few interesting things to say:

First, each set of pushers and pullers above are the same exact fan with the blades turned around. I suspected as much. However, he did say of all the fans above that, while they can be turned around and used as pushers, they were all designed primarily as pullers and are much more effective in that configuration. I then asked if the CFM's of the thinner fans were any different than that of the thicker ones. He would not give me a CFM number for any of the fans. He explained that there are so many variables involved in what constitutes a measurement of CFM that they prefer not to try to calculate one. Because the testing methods are all different across manufactures you really cannot compare one brand's CFM measurement with another's. I saw this while shopping. The same fan with one brand name on it would have a crazy CFM measurement that was way off the same exact fan with another name on it. He did say that the thin fans will flow less because the motors are weaker.

I chose to just have Martin order me another set of the kit's fans. I'll turn the blades around when I get them and reinstall them as pullers.

The engineer said the best fan for use in a pusher configuration would be one 310mm fan specifically designed for that purpose. He gave me a part number of 14-5312B11. Apparently this fan is very similar to the pushers they designed for OEM BMW applications.

Very fun conversation all in all. Awesome utilization of a lunch break (beat grading papers).

-Jason
Old 03-10-2013, 10:23 AM
V8 Miata Participant

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm thinking you also have to change the rotation.

Mike
Old 07-23-2014, 06:37 PM
V8 Miata Enthusiast

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I just posted a thread asking questions about possible larger replacement fans for extra cooling. After reading your post here, is it true you finally decided on the same type of fans in Martins kit you originally used?

Are you having better success in the pulling configuration? I always though you just reverse the wires to make them puller or pusher? What all did you do to yours to make them pullers?
Old 07-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Administrator

I just posted at length about this over in this thread:
https://www.v8miata.net/general-miat...olutions-1620/

Stock Monster Miata fans, turn the blades around and switch polarity. You're keeping the fan blades oriented the same but moving the motors to the other side. From what the people at Tripac told me the fans were actually designed as pullers.

-Jason