Exocet V-8

Old 12-28-2013, 06:30 AM
V8 Miata Participant

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exocet V-8

Since I have sold off my 1990 LS-1 car "Nadine" and I have to have something to play with, I just ordered the Race chassis from Exocet. There is already another 1999 LS-1 and 02 t-56 in the garage waiting for a new home. The plan is to use the MSD Atomic EFI on this one. I like the looks and simplicity of the system. It will even support the supercharger that I hope to install. I have an 8.8 IRS here too but might go with the Getrag on this one just for the exhaust clearance.
My chassis is a little different from what Exocet offers as it will be the first to have the DOT safety glass windshield mount. I want a real windshield on this one. I will also be installing a full dash board in the car to have a spot for the radio and heater. Gotta keep the wife warm as warm is happy. NO ONE is happy if Momma's not happy! To that end I will be doing heated seats as well. I fell in love with the ones in her Subaru.
I am trying to grab a set of V-Maxx coil overs I found on another forum, but either way I will have a set for the car in short order.
Pics to be posted when the crate arrives!
Old 12-28-2013, 10:37 AM
V8 Miata Enthusiast

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Cool!

I ordered my race chassis a few weeks ago. Didn't hear anything about the windshield mounts, though. Do have any more information about this?

Mine will also be LS1/T56. But this will be primarily a track car. If it doesn't make the car go faster, it doesn't go on. Including the windshield.

But I also want it to be street legal, as I do a lot of tuning on the highway. So I was planning on a windshield that's easily removable.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:31 AM
V8 Miata Participant

.bOB
They are in the process of making a windscreen for the car, but it will not be a full height windshield. I had spoken to Kevin some time ago about a DOT glass windshield and they were working on it.... I'm kind of a P-I-T-A so I guess they will have to get it worked out ;-)
I will be using this as a street car. I am hoping to make another shot at the Fireball Run in 2015 as the event is kicking off from my hometown of Waterbury, CT. It really is a great cause and I met some fantastic folks when my friend Joe and I did it in 2012. Nadine was a huge hit as face it, most folks want to laugh at a Miata. Having the v-8 was a huge draw and being able to out perform some of the exotics was just damn cool! I wish I had adjusted the throttle stop before we left as I did not know I was only getting 2/3 opening.....this car is going to everything Nadine was and so much more/but less!
I am also working with a friend that owns an upholstery shop to pattern a soft top for the car. Looks like it will be a bikini with side skirts that can be installed separately. I know, I know... its an open car, but for the sake of weather protection I have to do something. I am thinking that I will have it stowed into a couple PVC pipes under the rear bonnet when its not being used. I will post pics and be able to offer patterns or tops once the prototype is finished.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:24 PM
V8 Miata Participant

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am always one to say "if you have the money and time, do what makes you happy", but I have to ask .... Why go through all the trouble to build a pure tube chassis race car if you are really wanting a street car with all the street car features? You will end up with a car that is neither and will never be the best of either world.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:32 PM
V8 Miata Participant

I have to dare to be different. I want the tube car but for what I will be using it for, why NOT have comfort items like heat for cool summer evenings and a radio to listen to, and a top to keep the interior clean/dry when its parked?
By the same token you could say why build a V-8 Miata when for the same cash you could buy a Corvette? I have done a V-8 Miata and now I am looking to go a step further and a step faster. The Exocet is the way I want to do that.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:34 PM
V8 Miata Participant

Cash value wasn't my point. But like I said, do what makes you happy (and seriously, I'm not saying that sarcastically). I've actually never seen one of the exocet builds, I'm looking forward to your build.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:50 PM
V8 Miata Participant

No harm no foul....
Old 12-29-2013, 01:14 AM
V8 Miata Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Meierznutz
.bOB
They are in the process of making a windscreen for the car, but it will not be a full height windshield. I had spoken to Kevin some time ago about a DOT glass windshield and they were working on it.... I'm kind of a P-I-T-A so I guess they will have to get it worked out ;-)
Cool. I'll have to check in to that a little more. I just ordered mine, so it's probably not even in production yet.

I'm considering adding an aluminum panel roof. Not thinking about it very hard, though. Shade is nice while sitting in grid. But if it's going to mess up the aero, I won't do it.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:12 PM
V8 Miata Participant

The wait for the chassis is killing me so I am doing what most folks do....spending money like it's FREE!
I just got the headlights I plan on using, led marker lights, led turn signals, a Momo steering wheel and hub, and a set of V-Maxx XXtreme Track Pack shocks!
More to come!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:31 PM
V8 Miata Enthusiast

What a coincidence, me too! I'v got a basement full of parts, and a LS1/T56 in the garage. My wife is starting to call me "The E-Bay King". Again.

I don't expect delivery of the kit until the end of March.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:06 PM
V8 Miata Participant

Just got my Getrag 3.73 Posi yesterday. The T-bird 8.8 is going up for sale. I want to use the Getrag this time so I can use the FM exhaust from front to rear. All stainless and bolt on. I am going with the FM front and rear subframes and driveshaft kits. I need a bit more snow to pay for it all but so far everything I have purchased is paid for. Looking for a Father's Day debut at Caffeine & Carburetors in New Canaan, Ct. Can't wait to roll up to the gate with this beast!
Old 01-11-2014, 01:45 PM
V8 Miata Enthusiast

I'm going to use The Ford unit. I already own one, and it's stronger than the Getrag (and heavier). And because 'm using the same rear in my other car, I already spare parts for it.

I'm not sure what I'm going to use for an exhaust. I'd like to use side pipes, but until I can get the front suspension on with racing tires, I'm not sure how that will fit.

After talking with Keith Tanner, one of the big problems with running the exhaust down the center of the car is heat. I don't want to turn the metal floor into a radiator. So before I paint the frame I'm going to put some Lizard Skin in that area. Just in case I end up using that for the exhaust.

I don't expect to get the car rolling until Oct/Nov'ish. I'd like to have it ready for the 2015 racing season.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:32 PM
V8 Miata Participant

Waiting for the chassis is killing me... I spend all my free time gathering parts and looking at pictures of the frame ect....
In the last couple weeks I picked up a set of V-Maxx Trac-pack shocks, a remote bleeder for the clutch, a Momo wheel and hub, headlights, LED turn signals, Tubular upper rear control arms, and a bunch of small stuff for the v-8 engine.
I think I have also decided that I am going to build the car with the stock 4cylinder first to get it all sorted out and driving. The suspension will have to be re-tuned once the V-8 is in but this will give me hard numbers on weight differences and balance changes. Also I will have more time to save cash and get the things I really want for the car like Wilwood 6 piston brakes and the FM exhaust without having to compromise on the build. Father's Day is coming faster than you think and since I have a good donor car for the stock build I can run that and upgrade the power train later. Have no fear....this WILL be a supercharged LS build, just not before this Father's Day.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:31 AM
V8 Miata Enthusiast

I'm trying to save time and money by building it the way I want it (mostly) right from the beginning.

The LS1 engine will have some improvements to it, but nothing radical. As time goes on, I'll develop the engine better. But I really want this engine to be dead on reliable, so I won't stray too far from GM power parts.

I want to use a T5 dog box rather than the T56. It's smaller, lighter, faster, and who needs 6th gear on the track? But that will have to wait a season or two. They're not cheap, either.

The suspension and brakes will be maxed out right from the start. $2,300 for shocks and springs is a lot of money. But the best isn't cheap. Same thing with the brakes. Big Wilwoods all around.

I figure it will be about this time next year before it's ready to drive and get some track time. Our first race is usually April. I want time to work the bugs out and get some suspension set up data before that.

Patience is not always my strong point. But I'm working on that.

What are you going to use for the fuel system? My original plan was to use AN twist fit hoses and fittings. Expensive, but often worth it. But lately I'v been considering the nylon hoses, just like the factory does. 10mm should be plenty to feed a mild LS1. It's a whole lot cheaper, not any easier, and much lighter.

Since I'm feeding essentially 3 miata engines all at once, I'll upgrade the in tank pump to something better. AEM makes one specifically designed for E85, and that's all this car will use. When I get the pump hanger in my hand, I'll figure out how to modify it for better flow.

Have you heard anything more about the windshield kit? The guys at Flyin Miata have not heard of it. I sent a couple of e-mails to Atlanta, but never got any answers.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:24 AM
V8 Miata Participant

I have not heard from Kevin yet (two emails to them this month). I am trying to be as patient as possible.
My car will use the Walbro 225l/phr pump and braided 1/2 lines with push-lock AN fittings as Nadine did. I never had an issue with that set up.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:38 PM
V8 Miata Participant

The new Mishimoto 3 core radiator arrived yesterday. Very nice piece! Polished, cap and drain plug included, side mounts match....just transfer the rubber cushion and sleeve over and bolt it in. Worth every penny and it was a lot cheaper than the Griffin I had custom made for the last car...I used the extra cash to get the aluminum shroud and fans.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:55 AM
V8 Miata Participant

pics pics pics ..... please
Old 01-26-2014, 12:10 PM
V8 Miata Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Meierznutz
The new Mishimoto 3 core radiator arrived yesterday. Very nice piece! Polished, cap and drain plug included, side mounts match....just transfer the rubber cushion and sleeve over and bolt it in. Worth every penny and it was a lot cheaper than the Griffin I had custom made for the last car...I used the extra cash to get the aluminum shroud and fans.
That's the one I was planning to use, too. Flyin' Miata makes the best radiator on the market. I don't think you'll find anything better. But it's nearly $1,000. For a track only car, I don't think I need that. If I was building a street car, I'd spend it and not think twice.

For my use, I think the Mishimoto will do fine, and it's half the cost. I hope. If it gets too hot on the track, I'll call FM and spend the big bux.

Originally Posted by WolfGT
pics pics pics ..... please
Not much to see yet, really. Still collecting and refurbishing parts. Don't expect the kit to arrive until early april.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:49 AM
V8 Miata Participant

Progress is slow but steady, I have a set of rear lower control arms that are going with me to the shop this am. I will sandblast them at lunch and then paint them this weekend. I have a new Momo shift **** coming and the rad shroud is due on the floor any day now.
I did hear from Warren at Exocet USA. He says the windshield mount is worked out and will be installed on my chassis. They are hoping to have glass for it later this year but I should be able to get one cut and installed locally.
I am parting out a 95 M edition now and will use that rear subframe. Once it is out of the car it will go off for sandblast and be painted to match the LCA's.
I have a friend that does powdercoating and I did receive 2 pounds of the same powder as what is being used on the chassis. I might save all the parts and have them done at once. Then again I could do these in paint and the set for the V-8 in powder so that I don't have to scrape for any needed mods.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:21 AM
V8 Miata Participant

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Looking forward to watching this build come about.

How bad was the chassis on the 95M that it is being parted out?

Bill S.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:26 PM
V8 Miata Participant

The rockers were rotted so bad that it sagged when you opened the doors and the floors were gone....235k miles in New England winters will do that. Wish the guy had washed the car from time to time.
Just a tip to those that drive their cars in the salt belt....wash the underside after every storm. Then get the cheapest tire shine you can find and spray everything but the rotors....salt cant stick to silicone!
Old 02-04-2014, 03:53 PM
V8 Miata Participant

I got the shroud and cooling fans yesterday. Grabbed a couple bolts to test fit the assembly to the rad today. Nice fit up with the bolt holes and there is a 1/8th or so gap between the shroud and rad fins. The inner edge of the shroud is folded so even if things get tweaked some how the shroud shouldn't cut into the core. Even still, I have some 1/2" wide self stick 1/8th foam I will be adding to this just in case. Bonus was I found out the fans run in either direction so if I need to move them to the front of the core to use as pushers, all I need to do is TIG on stand-offs and go.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 PM
V8 Miata Participant

Trying real hard to keep up on the thread.... I ordered wheels last week and also found a set of Wilwood brakes for the car. I am going forward on the build and gathering as many parts as I can before I deliver my old car Nadine to its new owner. I want to pay as much up front so that when that cash infusion hits I have the money to finish it off quick and right.
Speedhut is ready to build my new gauges... I am doing a quad gauge (Temp /amps/oil psi/ and fuel level) in place of the tack and the speedo will be 0-160 swept up the left side of the pod and RPM up the right side but from the 3 o'clock position toward the center. This way I have a clear view of both through the Momo steering wheel.
I have tubular rear upper con troll arms and have been looking for a set of lowers as well as front sets. Have a friend that is willing to make them.
Seat heaters arrived. Yah I know.... but it is an open cockpit car and I live in New England. The car will have a custom dash with heat and defrosters by the time I'm done too. I will be doing a stereo as well cause I hate to drive without tunes!.....sue me!
Old 03-07-2014, 06:01 AM
V8 Miata Participant

New wheels are due on my doorstep today. I should be picking up the new tires next week.

I am prepping Nadine for delivery and then I will pay off the chassis. With the money I have put into other parts up front, I should be able to pick up some of the V-8 swap parts. I will need the stainless exhaust ($1600) a front subframe ($600) and the rear subframe mount ($450) as well as the driveline kit ($1600). The only option for the driveline kit is steel or aluminum driveshaft. I'm not worried about weight but might go for the upgrade...what the hell, it's only money! From there the only big ticket item is the MSD Atomic fuel injection system. At $2500 it is a big nut but it will support cam or injector changes without needing to be re-flashed by computer. It will also handle the supercharger when I can afford to drop that into the mix.

Once the new chassis arrives I can pull apart the white car and get the 4cyl version running in short order. Time will be tight to make C&C for Father's day but that is my goal. 14 weeks from date of order puts me at the first week of April. Worst case scenario is the first week of May for another 30 day build! It's been done before!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:09 AM
V8 Miata Participant

I know it is more work, but any chance we can see some pics? Looking forward to seeing this progress and eventually in action.

Sounds fun.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exocet V-8