Ford V8 Discussion Discussion relating to getting the most out of your Ford-based V8 Miata's engine

Block brackets

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 09:14 AM
V8 Miata Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Block brackets

Just a quick question concerning Martin's flat brackets that attach to the block Do the slots go towards the front, or the rear of the engine? And are you to put washers between the block and the bracket? Or between the subframe pedestal and rubber engine mount? Or both?
Just finishing up my engine and would like to fasten on as much as I can.
Thanks
Old 09-22-2014, 10:21 AM
V8 Miata Noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brackets I have them so the slots are towards the rear of the engine. I also used the spacers between the brackets and the engine block, plus I added a couple flat washers stacked with the spacers till I get the motor initially set in to see where things are at. then I figure I can adjust from there. What I initially did was turn my engine upside down on the stand and set the sub frame on the mounts just to look for any potential interference problems before finding out as I set everything in the car. Mainly just kind of reworked the power steering lines a bit because mine were hitting the oil pan. I figure the engine might sit a little different once it's in the car.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:00 AM
V8 Miata Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gearheadjoerush
My brackets I have them so the slots are towards the rear of the engine. I also used the spacers between the brackets and the engine block, plus I added a couple flat washers stacked with the spacers till I get the motor initially set in to see where things are at. then I figure I can adjust from there. What I initially did was turn my engine upside down on the stand and set the sub frame on the mounts just to look for any potential interference problems before finding out as I set everything in the car. Mainly just kind of reworked the power steering lines a bit because mine were hitting the oil pan. I figure the engine might sit a little different once it's in the car.
Oh, so those 4 one inch or so spacers are for the block mounts? I'm reading in the manual where it says "Install engine block mounts. Use bolts and spacers provided in kit."
I didn't get any bolts, so I figured this is one of the spots that Martin has trimmed off the kit. So the spacers go between the block and the mount.

I did the same thing yesterday. Engine is on a stand and after I installed Martins pan and tossed those mounts on I flipped the subframe on top to check the orientation of the slots on the mounts. I thought they probably go towards the front so the engine could be slid back further, but I'm not sure about that. I suppose the steering rack takes some of that room. My rack is still in my car.